about me


recent thought / activity


     

     



     

    See the full list at LibraryThing
     


    audio



     
     

     

    composition of the filmed image

    Been moving into a unit on "formalism" with my students, which is where the course is really starting to get fun (for me at least).

    Tomorrow we do our day on "composition," and trying to select just a few images to work with (from the huge world of all films ever) was quite a challenge. Here are the ones I think I'm going with:

     

    from Takashi Miike's Izo (2004)




    from David Lynch's The Straight Story (1999)




    from David Fincher's Se7en (1995)




    from Federico Fellini's Satyricon (1969)

    Labels: ,

     

    Thursday, February 22, 2007
    7:39 PM

     

    Comments:
    That's tough. I'd probably take Antonioni over Fellini (as much as I love Fellini) for pure form, and probably "L'Avventura". Although you could easily use both.

    Also "Virgin Spring" by Bergman.

    I'd also think about "Hara Kiri" by Kobayashi (originally released as Seppuku).

    And maybe even "In The Mood For Love" by Kar Wai Wong.

    And although challenging from a compositional standpoint (his use of medium depth fixed point shots is brilliant), Haneke's Cache might be an interesting choice.
     
    Damn, good picks!

    I still haven't seen Cache. I need to move it up in my queue.

    Today we looked at the opening two minutes of Punch-Drunk Love, an idea stolen from here. Worked well.
     
    If you're focusing on cinematography or compositional elements, I'd think it's be easy to work with directors who shoot like Ansel Adams: Antonioni and Bergman. Stark dramatic shots. Bold direct elements.

    Cache would be hard to work with, but an interesting choice, because it violates almost every rule of good composition.
     
    Post a Comment


     
         

     
         

    2011 archive >>

    2010 >>

    2009 >>

    2008 >>

    2007 >>

    2006 >>

    2005 >>

    2004 >>

    2003 >>

    2002 >>

    rss (xml)