about me


recent thought / activity


     

     



     

    See the full list at LibraryThing
     


    audio



     
     

     

    the postal archives

    I spent a lot of time this evening looking through and organizing mail. And I'm talking mail that dates back to probably around 1988 or so, when I first started writing letters regularly. I almost never throw a letter away: I still have mail saved from people I haven't been in touch with for a decade or more.

    There are some people who I stopped corresponding with more-or-less by accident, and some of them I don't know how to track down: Amanda Doimas? Mark Davis? Lauryn / Lauren Rose (the one from Bucks County, PA, not any of these other fakers)? If any of you are out there Googling yourself some night, and you should stumble upon this, think about dropping Jeremy Bushnell a line [jeremy, at invisible-city dot com projects, at imaginaryyear dot com].

    Other relationships represented in my box(es) of mail ended more consciously, or mutually, or whatever, just ended for one reason or another. But I can't seem to let go of the letters. If we ever cared about one another enough to write back and forth rest assured that I still have the letters and I remember how it felt to care about you that way; if, later on, I came to hurt you, rest assured that I remember the way that that felt too.

    Because this is a blog that's often about archiving rather than about weepy quasi-sentimental recriminations, I should say that the organizational process went smoother than I expected; all these old letters are actually stored in a fairly orderly way. That said, I could probably use an organizational scheme that's better than my current one, which involves nestling letters inside of brown lunchbags which are then further nestled inside of boxes. Digital scanning is flat out, and I can't think of a good way to scrapbook them: anybody out there on the Web have any especially clever mail-archiving ideas?

    Labels: ,

     

    Wednesday, September 14, 2005
    9:17 PM

     

    Comments: Post a Comment


     
         

     
         

    2011 archive >>

    2010 >>

    2009 >>

    2008 >>

    2007 >>

    2006 >>

    2005 >>

    2004 >>

    2003 >>

    2002 >>

    rss (xml)