about me


recent thought / activity


     

     



     

    See the full list at LibraryThing
     


    audio



     
     

     

    i made this: instafiction.org

    So a while back I started following Longform.org and Longreads on Twitter. Like many people, I'd been fooling around with new phone, trying it out as a kind of portable e-reader, which drove up my appetite for long web content.

    Both Longreads and Longform.org are exemplary models of curation, but I got to wishing that there was something similar for short fiction: a site that aggregated stories from some of the best sites around the web. I found a few examples, but none of them really struck me as 100% successful. So, with my usual zeal for new projects, I decided to try doing it myself.


    Instafiction.org provides one quality short story each weekday morning, formatted in a single page, for ease of use with services like Instapaper. I run it with editorial assistance from James Yates, a blogger and book nut I know from back in my Chicago days. (Some of you may remember his posts from my Aught Music project.)

    Together, we aim "to help short-form literary fiction thrive in the information ecology of the 21st century. To achieve this aim, we use social media and other network technologies to present short fiction in a manner designed to work with the expanding diversity of reading platforms and applications." (I'm quoting our own About Page here.)

    You can follow us on Twitter, "like" us on Facebook, or subscribe to get a link to a short story every morning in your inbox. You'll also continue to see updates about the site periodically at this blog.

    Labels: , , ,

     

    Monday, July 11, 2011
    8:55 AM

     

    Comments: Post a Comment


     
         

     
         

    2011 archive >>

    2010 >>

    2009 >>

    2008 >>

    2007 >>

    2006 >>

    2005 >>

    2004 >>

    2003 >>

    2002 >>

    rss (xml)